I just had some random thoughts on my mind and some free time on my hands. So here goes:
Justin found a gun holster in our driveway this morning. ???
Tomorrow is looking promising. I have a hair appointment. Those are rare and my hair is getting shaggy. Then I get to hit a yard sale a friend is having. Then it's scary movie girls night with my friend Becky. It's a yearly tradition around Halloween. Or any other time of the year for that matter. :)
I'm going to word this one carefully because I don't want to step on any toes. What is so different in our society today that kids committ suicide when they're bullied? I'm totally serious. I can't imagine having to bury my child. But I also can't imagine her being picked on to the point that she kills herself. What is different? When I was a kid I was picked on. Pretty much my entire childhood. Why? Because my parents were clean and took care of their property. Seriously. Kids will find ANYTHING to tease about as long as it's an easy target, like me. I was shy and took it. It was CONSTANT haggling the entire bus ride every single day. I was quiet on the bus and ignored them. But as soon as I stepped off I cried all the way up the drive way. But did I ever think about killing myself? Never crossed my mind. Not an option. So what's different? Is it okay then to allow it? Not at all. I think the bullies need put in their place. But really. This one baffles me.
I hope that little doggy is okay. I haven't seen him since so maybe he's warm and snuggled up at home and on the mend. I hope so anyway.
I think our neighbors stupid cat jumped on my car, in the garage. I never park outside, so he had to have made himself at home in the garage. Wish they'd keep him inside. It's like he owns the entire street. Now I have nice scratches on my hood.
Cady is getting lots of fun now. And that somehow makes me want to start over with another? Not sure on the reasoning for that one.
As tired as she was this morning I wish she had napped longer than an hour.
Justin is paranoid of her clumsiness. I told him it's a toddler thing. He thinks she takes after him. Yesterday she bruised her forehead and busted her eyelid. :(
Why do people e-mail you via CraigsList asking if you still have something? I get TONS of these e-mails and then never hear from them again....
I could go on and on. But I'll stop. Happy Friday and have a great weekend!
Re: teen suicide, I think there are a lot of contributing factors. It's easy to say that suicides get more attention today, causing others to idolize the victims. And it's easy to blame social media - which didn't exist when we were growing up. And I DO think that both of those are valid reasons.
ReplyDeleteI also think that LGBT students are being bullied more now that before. I feel like kids today are quick to call somebody "gay" in a derogatory way. I know that happened when we were younger too, but I don't remember it being so prevalent.
Doctors are prescribing fewer anti-depressants to teens now than they were 15 years ago - so there's a question to if the clinically depressed are trying to cope untreated to a higher degree than in the 90s
It's also just a hot topic right now - so we hear about them more. They've always happened, and there was a huge spike in 2004/2005 - but even with the decline since then, those stories are told so that it seems like there are more cases than before.
Most teens who do it, though, have more going on that just being picked on. Other mental health issues are highly correlated, and it's sad that they would go untreated.
Hopefully some of the new bullying laws will help build a new kind of environment with the little kids and they'll grow up to foster a safer and more empathetic community for everyone. Let's here it for awareness and prevention.