If you read my previous post on potty training, you know we tried the month before Cady turned 2 just to give it a shot. We went straight to panties for 3.5 weeks. Long story short, Cady wasn't ready. And I really wasn't ready to be cleaning up multiple accidents every day for however many months she decided to take before "getting it."
So we took some time off. I was originally going to wait a month. But I still didn't feel like she, or I, was ready. It was when she was about 2 years 3 months that I felt like it was time. She was staying dry during nap time. And then she started peeing in her potty before nap, after nap, and before bed. This was completely backwards from how things should progress, in my mind. So I knew at that point she was ready. We just needed to give her the final push. I wanted to set aside a week that I could keep us home and focus on the potty, but something always came up that that particular week wouldn't work. I finally sat down and picked a week in November and it was marked on my planner as "Potty Training Week." No excuses.
Well, Cady stayed the night with her grandparents one night and we went to pick her up the next day for them to tell us she'd been diaper free all day just to see how she'd do. I didn't want to confuse the poor child and keep going back and forth, so I sucked it up and kept it going. I had a half day appointment in LR that week, but I figured we'd tough that day out best we could and go from there. And by the way, that morning at our friend's house she only had 2 accidents and one success. And another success after I went to pick her up.
Cady's first week was better than 55%. So I knew we were onto something. Especially considering she spent about 4 days of her first week away from home. If we had to leave the house I put her in panties AND a pullup. That way she felt the wetness but it didn't go everywhere.
Her second week I only put a pullup on over panties if we're going in the car. For walks and playing outside it's just panties and pants. But so far she hasn't had an accident when leaving the house, just when we're outside. I don't think it's because she gets "caught up" in what she's doing. Because she'll stop playing in the house to go pee. I think it's because we're outside and she knows it's an easy mess to clean up. If we're inside she runs around completely nude waist down. I'm hoping to start a habit of panties next week and then the next week wear pants more often. Especially once the weather gets chilly. Her potty chair has been making an appearance in the living room this week. It seems to be the happening place. But she'll go in the bathroom too. I've just been giving her the option of where to put it so she's "in control." I'm sure the novelty will wear off soon and we can just keep it in the bathroom.
I've also caught her half the time this week with going potty and dumping her little potty into the big potty by herself and doing all we normally do together. Even if it's #2. I just have to catch her and make sure we wipe. She's definitely taking off faster than I expected after the last attempt. So I'm pretty optimistic that we're down to pullups at night only. Since she was already staying dry at nap time in her pullups I've just let her wear panties then also.
I'm just wondering at what point I'll feel comfortable with not putting up the safety gate at night. I tried one night and she got up playing in the anti-itch cream. She wakes up so early that I just keep her in her room and she plays without complaint until we get her up. But I know if the gate was down she might go pee now when we wakes up instead of depending on the pullup. I'm thinking after the time change we'll see how her sleep habits change and go from there. But I'm totally excited about where the last couple weeks has taken us. Here's a picture of how our lives have been since the transition.
No comments:
Post a Comment