Sunday, June 16, 2013

Cady is 3!

Physical
Cady is 33 lbs and 37.5 inches tall. I didn't realize how big Cady is getting until we brought Addison home. Then Cady looked like a giant. I'm not even going to list abilities because, honestly, what CAN'T she do at this point. Her Grandad (my dad) got her a scooter for her birthday and she was almost a pro immediately upon getting it.

Mental
She knows her colors, alphabet, numbers to 20 (almost), puzzles, and some problem solving games on my phone. Most of this she's known since 2 or before so I guess I need to put on my big girl panties and step up my game. Some things I'd like to work on with her this summer is scissors, glue, and watercolors.

Social
Cady used to be SUPER shy around EVERYBODY. She warmed up to those close to us. But within the last month or so she's opened up ALOT! I'll have to start pushing the stranger danger issue because she's starting to worry me. I didn't worry before because I would have never dreamed it. But now she wants to say hi to and talk to everybody who passes her by.

Sleep
She still takes an afternoon nap. Her old nap time was 12:30. When little sister came along it was easier to put her down at 1:00. I also used to get her up by 3:00 but started having a cranky child. So after some trial and error her naps are over some time between 3:30-4:00 usually. If I have to I'll wake her at 4:00. Her bedtime used to be 7:30, but due to time (and sister) it's more like 8:00. Cady usually wakes up sometime between 6:30-7:00 in the mornings. But she knows to stay in her room until 7:00 when her clock lights up green.

Eating
Cady is still picky. But in the last month or so we've been able to take the eat or starve approach a little more. If I forsee a battle at the next meal time, I'll either keep her busy through normal snack time or limit snack so that she's more hungry and less likely to pick. For some reason, up until 15 months Cady would eat almost ANYTHING. Then a light went off and she wouldn't eat hardly anything. I knew the time would probably come. But hopefully we can work through and move past it.

Issues
I have to agree with alot of my friends that compared to 3, 2 was pretty easy. I seriously don't know why they call it terrible twos when they really start acting out at 3.  Cady has started hitting, kicking, pinching, and pushing. This is for mom, dad, grandma, or other kids. We really have to watch her and try to discipline as it happens.

Potty
Cady was potty trained soon after 2 years and 3 months old. She used a potty chair until this past week and started climbing on the big potty by herself out of the blue. So I told her since she's such a big girl we'll pack away the potty chair and put her stool in front of the big potty so she can use it from now on. It doesn't really save us any space in the bathroom since we just added a stool, but it's definitely easier for clean up. But she's a very talented child in that somehow she can aim her pee between the bowl and the toilet seat. Then she needs new pants even though she went on the potty.

On Becoming a Big Sister
Cady has been a challenge. She's been the center of attention for almost 3 years and all of a sudden we have another child to love on. We've tried being careful with directing full attention her way and doing things without baby. But fact of the matter is, with Cady I could spend an entire day alone with just her, but as soon as I try to console a crying Addison, she's jealous. On several occasions, either Justin or myself will be bent over trying to pick Addison up out of her bouncy seat or off the play mat and Cady will run up behind us and try to push us over. Leaving us bracing so we don't fall on Addison. But with the acting out also comes help. If we try to get Cady to help out it helps some. Not all the time, but some times. She is good at bringing us the paci or burp cloth. She used to sing to Addison when she cried, but I guess Cady got tired of it. I see Cady's role at a big sister go kinda like a roller coaster. It's constantly up and down, depending on her mood that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment